Becoming a university student is exciting! However, it’s also a big adjustment, and it’s natural to feel the anticipation and stress that comes with any new experience. Before you set foot on campus, here are a few tips to help you prepare for the transition.
- Consider your goals: What do you hope to accomplish in your first quarter? What about your first year? What do you hope to accomplish by the time you graduate? While you don’t need to plan out your entire college experience, spend some time thinking about what you want to do, write down these goals, and keep them where you can see them. This will help you stay motivated!
- Talk to your loved ones: This might be harder than it sounds! Soon, you’re going to be very busy and focused on the work of being a UCI student. Let your loved ones know how to best support you and set expectations. Plan ways to stay connected while staying focused on your goals.
- Explore campus resources: We’re here for you! UCI staff are eager to assist you with everything from academics to supporting your well-being. We encourage you to learn about resources early so you know where to turn when you need help. This is also a great way to discover places where you’d like to get involved.
- Practice a growth mindset: There may come a time in your first year when you think to yourself, “This is too hard.” It’s normal to feel this way when you’re trying something new. Practice using positive self-talk and staying curious about challenges. This will help you face difficulties with confidence.
- Learn more about learning: Part of being a UCI student is learning how to learn. Did you know that there’s real science about how we understand and remember? Understanding the learning process can help you excel in the classroom!
Looking for additional support ahead of your transition to life at UCI? We at the Learning and Academic Resource Center (LARC) are here to help! Meet with one of our academic coaches one-on-one, sign up for a LARC tutorial, or check out our best learning tips.
Please don’t hesitate to contact us for additional information.